Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

It's a New Dawn, It's a New Day

So this past week I did something daring, something bold, something slightly idiotic, and something I feel might make all the "live while you're young" people out there very proud.

I quit my job.


I quit my job without a backup job.


Smart, huh?


Why the heck would I do this?  Well, it was not as spontaneous as you might think.  I'd been thinking about it for a while.  Truth is, I'll be leaving for Ireland in less than 2 months and as soon as I get back I'll have a few weeks before I start my freshman year of college.  And my parents really don't want me working my freshman year.  And without having the commitment to work, I will be able to visit with some family that is out of town that I otherwise wouldn't be able to see over the summer.


So yeah, it wasn't as reckless a decision as it could have been.  I thought through it, did a cost benefit analysis, and here I am with 2 days left of work.  It's kind of bitter sweet because I really have enjoyed my job and the awesome people I work with and such. And I've learned so much from this employment.  It has been truly a wonderful experience for which I am extremely grateful. 


But I'm excited about where this is taking me.  I am going into a new stage of life, jobless though I may be.  Soon I'll be in college learning things and striving for a degree that will enable me to start in a career that I love.


In the words of Mr. Buble: "It's a new dawn, it's a new day."


Yeah I know, that's a little dramatic.


But really, I kind of am now understanding what people say about remembering when they were my age and feeling like they had the world at their finger tips.  Right now I don't feel like I'm on top of the world, but I feel like I'm climbing my way there.  Yeah, it's going to be tough, and yeah I'm going to mess up.  But I'm excited about making mistakes.  I'm excited about coming to the realizations that I am so far from perfect, and I'm excited about living with that.  I'm excited about fighting my way to the top.  I'm excited about not having an extreme life plan set up, like the major or career I want to pursue. 


I'm just excited about my plan for climbing and falling and climbing again.


--Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment